Archive for the ‘SCOM’ Category

SCOM 2012 SP1, error 500 Internal Server Error when using Web Console

March 1, 2013

With a fresh install of SCOM 2012 SP1, the Web Console gave me this error.
I was able to logon to the website, see the list of reports on the left, but when i selected one of the reports (Active Alerts for instance) i got this error 500.
On the server itself i got a more precise error:
HTTP error 500.19 – Internal Server Error
HRESULT: 0x800700b7
The requested page cannot be accessed because the related configuration data for the page is invalid.
There is a duplicate ‘uri’ section defined in file Web.Config

So this pointed me to the file Web.Config, which had a single record of uri, but also this sentence:

“Note, the URI config section is not declared in machine.config for .NET 2.x-3.x, so declaring it explicitly here”

But in IIS 7.5, the Application Pools were all configured to use .NET 4.
So this could very well be the cause of the duplicate uri section.

Solution:
In IIS, i changed the Application Pools in IIS for OperationsManagerMonitoringView to use .NET 2 instead of 4.
AFter that, a recycle of the application pool, en presto, the OperationsManager Web Console was working again.

Advertisements

Setup was not able to retrieve the service account from the specified Virtual Machine Manager Server

March 17, 2011

I was at a customer installing a nice new instance of SCOM 2007 R2 and SCVMM 2008 R2.
Both installed fine.
Then tried to setup the connection between the two, a.k.a. the PRO tips.
After adding all service account sto the needed groups (local admin groups on servrs and admin groups within scvmm/scom) i got to the point of running the SCVMM integration setup on the SCOM server.
This by mounting the SCVMM ISO and running setup, then choosing “Configure Operations Manager”
This setup failed with the following error:

“Setup was not able to retrieve the service account from the specified Virtual Machine Manager Server”
A little googling turned me to this blog post of Aidan Finn.
Which seemed to be exactly the same issue. Only, his solution of running the “ConfigureScpTool.exe -Install” did not work for me.
The tool ran fine. Well, i think it went fine, because it doesn’t provide any feedback about if it succeeded or failed. Hmm.
Checked with ADSIEdit, and still no SCP object was created for the SCVMM Server object.

So i connected to my testenvironment where i also have scvmm and scom running, and opened ADSIedit to find out what the missing SCP records looked like.
I then manually created these in ADSIedit for the new environment, of course with using the proper computernames and settings.
Quick guide:
– open adsiedit, navigate to the computerobject of your scvmm server
– rightclick, create new object
– on object class, select “serviceConnectionPoint”
– on value, type: MSVMM
– then click finish.
Your object is now created, but needs to be adjusted.

The following attributes have to be entered/modified:
– keywords
I had 5 entries here:
* The product-ID of SCVMM, being something like “02024-110-8022126-75063”
* the second entry was the number “1.0”
* the third entry was the SCVMM serviceaccount name, in the format of domainname\serviceaccount for example contoso\sa_scvmm
* the fourth entry was just “Microsoft”
* and the last was the product name, “Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008”
! Note that all 5 entries did not have any quotation marks in them !
– serviceBindingInformation
Enter the TCP Port number that your SCVMM service listens to, typically 8100
– serviceClassName
Enter “MSVMM” here (without the quotes)
– serviceDNSName
Enter the FQDN of your SCVMM server here
– serviceDNSNameType
– Enter “A” here (without the quotes)

And waddayaknow, it worked 🙂
I could now connect from another server using the SCVMM console using the dns name of the scvmm server.
No more kerberos errors and all..